Flesh eating bacteria (Vibrio vulnificus) is a dangerous bacterium that can cause severe infections, even death.

Flesh-eating bacteria is most common in warm, coastal waters, such as the Gulf Coast of the United States.

Eating raw or undercooked shellfish is one of the main ways to get infected with flesh-eating bacteria.

Another way to get infected is through an open wound that comes into contact with contaminated water.

Symptoms of flesh-eating bacteria infection can include fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, and redness and swelling at the wound site.

If not treated promptly, flesh-eating bacteria infection can lead to tissue death, amputation, and even death.

wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water after being in saltwater or brackish water.

If you have an open wound, it is important to keep it clean and covered to prevent infection.

If you think you may have been infected with flesh-eating bacteria, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

Be aware of the risks of flesh-eating bacteria and take steps to protect yourself.